Saturday, December 15, 2007

Winter "Wonder" Land

I know, strange post title. But I'm "wondering" when I'm going to get electricity back. It's Friday, December 14 and we lost power on Monday December 10th at about 9pm. It's been an interesting week to say the least.

There are things you learn about yourself during times like these. Understand, I'm not going to get incredibly introspective and wax nostalgic on Laura Ingalls Wilder or pretend that we're in a similar situation. But priorities change when you have a situation like this.

For the first time since I began designing clothing for Second Life, I've been able to take a step back. I've been able to stay away from the computer (true, I have had connectivity at work and today I am at the University connected via the wireless network at our Student Union) which has been kind of nice. It's nice to be able to log on for a short period of time, check my messages then log off. We have been spending most of the week in the basement in front of the wood stove. Romantic? Sort of... oh, maybe not really. Maintaining the fire has been the big key. I've learned a lot about wood stoves this week. Woot!

One of the biggest challenges has been keeping ourselves sane and the kids occupied. Those of you who know me on a more personal level know that between my partner and myself we have five children. We sat in the dark (semi-dark with an LED flashlight - those are kinda' cool!) playing games last night. We try to get them to read more and have also tried to make sure that they are learning to occupy themselves!

I will post more at another time as I have connectivity. Hugs and love to all of you who might read this.

-Lissa

No comments: