Thursday, December 6, 2007

WindLight Frustration


Okay, so I'm trying Windlight for the second time after I decided I didn't like it because my fps (frames per second) were way too slow. Like, maddeningly, painfully, running into things because I overshoot when I'm turning, slow. But I'm trying it again, regardless. Stupid me.

Yes, the atmospheric effects in WL are gorgeous. (See photo) but I truly am a "complete experience" kinda' girl. Even typing this out is incredibly frustrating. The load the WL is placing on my graphics card makes me feel like I'm back at my old 75 MHz Mac Performa with a 603e Power PC Processor trying to type in Microsoft Word while having Photoshop open at the same time.

But Lissa, the pictures you get in WL are incredible. So What? If I can't enjoy my time in SL, (productive or otherwise) then why on earth would I want to be there. This is worse than a laggy event. Maybe I'm missing something. Someone help me out here. What settings should I use in my preferences?

In my regular SL viewer I get between 10 and 20 fps depending on what I'm doing. I can fly around and enjoy myself, etc. Here are my specs. MacBook Pro, 2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo, 3GB RAM, Radeon X1600 Video card.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I want to enjoy the eye candy and still have a decent frame rate! (which btw, is hovering at 4 fps! (And I'm standing still!).

Love,
Lissa

No comments: